An old-fashioned icebox cake is a delicious and easy no-bake dessert recipe.
Chocolate icebox cake is a generations-old classic that takes a small handful of ordinary ingredients and turns them into something amazing!
What is an Icebox Cake?
Back in the 1930s when refrigerators were called “iceboxes,” these versatile recipes became popular!
An icebox cake combines layers of cookies (in this case chocolate wafers) and whipped cream and it sits overnight. Once it sits, the cookies take on a cake-like texture resulting in a delicious dessert.
- No need to heat up the oven! Simply make and chill!
- Create a signature icebox cake by mixing in all kinds of other fun ingredients, changing the cookies, extracts, or toppings!
- Slice super thin and serve with some Strawberry Sauce or fresh fruit.
Ingredients and Variations
CREAM: Sweetened whipped cream makes the base for an icebox cake. Whipped topping works for a quicker version!
LAYERS: Chocolate wafers are layered with the whipped cream, but any kind of thin cookies will do.
Oreos, even graham crackers, chocolate grahams, or sugar wafer cookies work great!
VARIATIONS: So many things can be added to an icebox cake.
- Whip in room temperature cream cheese and toasted coconut for a heavier layer that tastes great with layers of fruit!
- Cocoa powder and instant espresso added to whipped cream will give an icebox cake a mocha flavor
- Add any kind of fruit-flavored jam, like strawberry or lemon curd.
- Make a holiday icebox cake by whipping pumpkin puree in with the whipped cream and use graham crackers for layering. Top with chocolate chips!
TOPPINGS: Grated chocolate, fresh berries, mini chocolate chips, or colored jimmies for a birthday cake are all perfect toppers!
How to Make an Icebox Cake
- Beat heavy whipping cream with powdered sugar & vanilla.
- Spread a layer over the tops of cookies.
- Spread cream mixture on a plate & stack the cookies.
- Once stacked, create a long ‘log’ with the cookies and cover with the remaining layer of whipped cream mixture.
- Cover & refrigerate overnight. Garnish with chocolate or other desired topping.
To Serve Icebox Cake
Slice the cake on the diagonal to reveal layers of chocolate and cream. Garnish and serve.
How to Store
Keep icebox cake in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 4 weeks.
Slice icebox cake into 1” slices and stack slices between sheets of parchment paper. Cover in plastic wrap and freeze in a zippered bag with the date labeled on the outside.
Best Icebox Cakes
Did your family love this Chocolate Icebox Cake? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Chocolate Icebox Cake
Homemade Chocolate Icebox Cake is a light & refreshing cake, perfect for a summertime dessert!
Beat cream in a large bowl with a hand mixer on medium. Once it begins to thicken, add powdered sugar and vanilla. Continue beating until the whipped cream is thickened and stiff peaks form.
Spread a ½” layer of whipped cream on each cookie.
Spread a line of whipped cream on a serving plate. Begin adding cookies, stacking them upright to form a line.
Once all cookies are in a line, spread the remaining whipped cream over the cookies to form a ‘log’ shaped cake.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Decorate with grated chocolate. Slice cake on a diagonal for a striped effect.
Calories: 534, Carbohydrates: 42g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 39g, Saturated Fat: 22g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 110mg, Sodium: 325mg, Potassium: 207mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 20g, Vitamin A: 1176IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 71mg, Iron: 2mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword best icebox cake, chocolate icebox cake, how to make icebox cake, icebox cake
Course Cake, Dessert