Steak butter is the secret ingredient steakhouses use to make their steaks extra tasty.
This small coin of compound butter melts onto the steak as it is being carried from the grill to the table.
What is Steak Butter?
Steak butter is a delicious butter mixture that can be made at home using fresh herbs and seasonings!
It is mixed together and then rolled into a roll and refrigerated. The roll is then sliced into round pats of butter.
- Steak butter isn’t just for steaks! It’s also great on meat, fish, corn on the cob, and even as a spread on crostini!
- It is versatile, super-fast to prepare, and easy to cook with.
- This butter can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen to use later.
- Freeze individual coins and add to mashed potatoes or veggies for an easy boost of flavor!
What’s in Steak Butter?
BUTTER A little bit of softened butter melted over a steak makes the flavor really pop. I prefer salted butter but you can use unsalted butter and add your own salt.
SEASONINGS Some savory herbs and spices are all it takes! Fresh garlic is a great addition but use garlic powder or roasted garlic for a more subtle flavor.
We add in a pinch of smoked paprika, some thyme (or parsley) and a tiny bit of lemon zest.
- For fish or seafood dishes, use dill and extra lemon zest.
- For pork chops or pork loin, use garlic and rosemary.
- Add a dash or two of sriracha into compound butter with some basil for a spicy brush over meatballs for an appetizer!
How to Make Steak Butter
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3 to make this tasty condiment for steak:
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Use a hand mixer for best results!
- Scrape butter from the bowl & place it in the center of a large piece of plastic wrap.
- Fold the plastic wrap over & make a log shape. Twist the ends & refrigerate until ready to use.
- Compound butter can be made ahead and the flavors will intensify. Freeze in a zippered bag with the date labeled on the outside for up to 3 months.
- If making more than one batch, use a food processor.
- Trying to use up fresh herbs instead? Use this handy guide to learn how to substitute fresh vs dried herbs.
Did you try this Steak Butter? Tell us how much you loved it in a comment below!
Savory compound butter is sliced into coins and melted on top of steaks for a juicy, flavorful butter-infused bite every time!
Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix with a hand mixer until smooth.
Spread onto a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a small log, tying the ends of the wrap.
Keep in the refrigerator until it is hard.
Use a hand mixer for best results, this adds air into the butter so it melts well!
Add a generous amount of salt to the butter, it flavors the steak nicely.
This butter can be made 1 week ahead of time and kept in the fridge or frozen in coins.
Use steak butter on meats or veggies of all kinds.
Calories: 103, Carbohydrates: 1g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 31mg, Sodium: 101mg, Potassium: 7mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 375IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 5mg, Iron: 1mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword best steak butter, how to make steak butter, Steak Butter, Steak Butter recipe